Now that the weather is starting to get nicer and we are transitioning into the spring and summer months more and more pet owners are outside with their dogs. Many owners are unaware of just how toxic wild mushrooms are! These fungi are found everywhere, even if you live in the city!

You could be walking down the side walk and find a mushroom growing out of the crack of the sidewalk. This is a topic that dog owners need to be aware of, and they need to be aware of how to get rid of these mushrooms properly!

There are mushrooms that can cause serious harm to your dog if you’re not careful! Being aware of the types of mushrooms out there can be positionally lifesaving knowledge for your furry friend!


Many mushrooms present little to no problems when ingested and some of these mushrooms are used in vitamins or have health benefits.

The problem is the mushrooms that are fatal if ingested. According to the American Mycological Association dogs gravitate towards two of the deadliest mushroom species, the Amanita phalloides and the Incocybes.

Both of these mushrooms omit an order that resembles fish and researches believe that this is why dogs are attracted to them.

The Amanita Muscaria and the Amanita Pantherina:

These are a type of mushroom that contain toxic compounds called ibotenic acid and muscimol.

Amanita Muscaria
Amanita Muscaria
Amanita Muscaria
Amanita Pantherina

The Inocybe and Clitocybe Mushrooms:

These mushrooms have a compound called muscarine and this is a compound that is almost always lethal when ingested by dogs. It is not dangerous for humans, but dogs are extremely sensitive to this fungus.

Clitocybe mushrooms
Clitocybe mushrooms

Signs of Mushroom Poisoning:

Your dog may show a variety of different signs or symptoms after eating a mushroom because the type of mushroom is going to govern their signs and symptoms. If any of the follow symptoms begin, it is time to bring your pup to the Veterinarian!

  • Gastrointestinal Upset, lethargy, depression: Vomiting and severe abdominal pain can cause your dog to become lethargic or depressed. You may notice that your dog will show signs of being jaundiced. Jaundice is when the whites of the eyes and the mucus membranes become yellow in color. Your dog may also have a seizure or start to bleed as a result of liver damage from the mushroom.
  • Gastrointestinal Irritation: This is the most common symptom of mushroom poisoning and it is not always fatal with no other symptoms. After around 6 hours of ingesting a mushroom a dog can have diarrhea or begin to vomit. This is something that will usually run its course after 24 hours. This does not always require veterinary care, but it warrants a call to the vet! 
  • Gastrointestinal Upset plus Muscarinic Effects: Muscarinic effects are defined by excessive drooling and tear production. These are both signs of organophosphate insecticide poisoning. You might notice that your dog’s pupils are small and constricted and their heartbeat will slow down significantly. This happens about six hours of ingestion and it requires veterinary care! The species of mushroom most likely to cause this reaction is the Inocybe and the Clitocybe.

Previous articlePhysical Therapy for Dogs
Next articlePositive Behavioral Training Your Pup!
Cathy D. Evans
Life-long fan of all dogs including Finnegan pictured here. He's a Chinook about a year old with the most wonderful personality. Please enjoy this dog website and its content. “Dogs don’t rationalize. They don’t hold anything against a person. They don’t see the outside of a human but the inside of a human.” —Cesar Millan (dog trainer)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here